Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sleep Training - Night 3

--
So this will bring me current to tonight - Tuesday... Brannon works late on Tuesdays, so it is just the girls! We stopped by the store tonight and picked up some shrimp for the girls, I made dinner, cleaned kitchen, got pajamas on, took out the trash and went to see PawPaw and Nana (at the girls' request). We got back about 7:15 - we got everyone ready (fresh diapers/pull up, etc) and I put Brooklyn in her crib after lots of hugs from her and then I told Bella she had to go in her bed. She was already saying she didn't want her bed and that she wanted me to lay with her. I laid with her and we talked for about 5 or 10 minutes and I told her I was going to my bed at which she immediately starting getting out of her bed and crying. I simply told her goodnight, that I loved her and closed her door (we have a safety knob cover over the inside door knob so she cannot open it - we do not leave the door closed all night - once she is asleep, her door is opened so that she can get out if she needs to). She screamed. I could hear her throwing toys around the room and after a few minutes she started banging on her door, which made quite a loud noise, luckily it didn't wake up Brooklyn! I ignored it all - I am of the mindset that if I get up and acknowledge everything she is doing, she will see that she gets a reaction out of such behavior and continue it. If I ignore it - then she'll get the picture that those behaviors do not work, so why bother...
--
I just went in to check on her and she is sleeping peacefully in her bed, all snuggled under her covers and everything. It is 9 pm and everyone is in their own beds ASLEEP!!! Night #3 is a success in my book!
--
Stay tuned (if you're interested) because once we get Bella situated and used to going to bed by herself - we'll shake things up by transitioning Brooklyn out of her crib in her "big" bed, as she calls it!
--
UPDATE: So Bella was up twice during the night and she came into our room and stood at my side of the bed and said "I want you lay with me", so I did - but within 5 minutes she was back asleep. I tried to just lay beside her without her touching me (she likes to hold my arm when she sleeps) - so that way she was still putting herself back to sleep. Then around 5 am - she was back and I just let her snuggle with me - I get up at 5:30 anyway, so I don't mind that. Of course, when Bell was up the second time (around 2 am or so) Brooklyn woke up and Brannon got up with her and he put her in our bed where she slept the rest of the night. Luckily - with Brooklyn this really is a rare occurrence - I just told her this morning to not get too comfortable!
--
All in all - I still think it is a step in the right direction - and you know "Rome wasn't built in a day"!
--

No comments:

Post a Comment