Sunday, January 27, 2008

Memories...

Do you ever think of something, or smell something, or hear a song that reminds you of someone from years past?
____
Well, I have some of these "memories" that I've thought of lately - I can, at least, tell you what triggers them.
_____
The first one has to do with smell. Whenever I am driving and I smell a skunk (or pole cat, as they are called around here), I think of the Reichs, specifically Mr. Reich. NOW, NOW let me explain why. Jennifer is one of my oldest (in terms of length of friendship, not age) and dearest friends and when we were growing up her dad was the Director of the Museum. The Museum had an exhibit where you lifted this little "door" and you could smell what a skunk smelled like! Hence why when I smell a skunk, I think of the Reichs. I also think of the Reichs, specially Mrs. Reich, whenever I hear the song "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" - I think one year she did a skit to this in Mascars (did I spell that right?) or something. I think this is the cutest song and I always think of her when I hear it....
_______
The second one has to do with music. When I was growing up, my mom listened to Oldies, which meant that by default that is what we listened to as well! There are some Oldies that I can remember loving when I was younger - one of these was Henry the Viii I Am by Hermans Hermits! I mean I loved this song - perhaps because I could remember all the words, since "second verse same as the first" (I was notorious for not singing the right words to songs, oh wait, I still am)! I can remember my mom calling into an oldies station one night to request the song for me - I remember we were sitting in the car in the garage listening to it after she called it in! This one was triggered when I was "searching" for music for the playlist for this very blog!
____
The third (and final one for today) also has to do with music. When I was in college, they had a showing of Grease on a big screen at the Ferguson Center, so a bunch of us went to see it (I mean who doesn't love Grease?). I guess it was more than just watching the movie because I remember them getting people up on stage to "act" out the song Summer Lovin! My friend Leslie, of course, got up there (and I think most of us that went did too)! But for some reason (that I now cannot remember - I'm not sure what part she played while on stage) I always think of her when I hear that song. I also think of her when I hear the song Jose Cuervo by Dottie West. This is because I had never heard this song before until I went to college (she was our suite mate the first year) and I remember her singing this song!!! These, too, were triggered when I was "searching" for music for the playlist for this very blog!
_______
While these might not mean much to most of you who read this - these memories brought a smile to my face when I "remembered" them and thought of the people who have been a part of my life!
____

No comments:

Post a Comment