Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Research

Torus fractures, or buckle fractures, are extremely common injuries seen in children. Because children have softer bones, one side of the bone may buckle upon itself without disrupting the other side; this is also known as an incomplete fracture. Treatment of a torus or buckle fracture is by casting the injury for a short duration, usually about three weeks. The word torus is derived from the Latin word 'Tori' meaning swelling or protuberance. Children commonly sustain this injury by falling on an outstretched hand. I tried to find a picture of one but none that I found looked anything like her x-rays. Perhaps we will be able to get a copy of her x-rays and I can post then!
Thanks Jen for the website you found! I hadn't even thought to look it up since I'd seen her x-rays and saw it!

No comments:

Post a Comment